Sunday, February 13, 2011

Pointless Blathering (on Aliens)

Whenever we envision aliens, we imagine them to be races far more intelligent and advanced than our own. But this isn't necessarily true. If there is life out there, which I believe there is, by the way...there will be a ranging variety of it. On some planets, life will just be developing out of the primordial ooze. On others, there will be very highly advanced civilizations. But the odds are that there will be plenty of alien species that are right around our level of development. If we somehow discover each other, we will, of course, still learn so much from our encounter. But they won't necessarily be so far ahead of us in technological development.

Also, everyone is sooo paranoid that, if they exist, aliens are out to conquer/slaughter us. Honestly, I can't think of any good reason that they would do that. No alien race is going to want to take over the Earth. We don't have enough resources, we've already used so many for ourselves, plus our environment is too fucked up. So there's that theory out the window. Also, no alien race is just going to destroy the Earth, either. What could they possibly gain by doing that? I mean, even if we did have the technology, we would not go around destroying other planets for shits and giggles, it would be so wasteful. Now, they might want to abduct a few of us, maybe even enslave us, but I also think that the chances of that are slim. I honestly think that if any real contact is ever made between us and another planet, it will be solely to communicate and to learn about each other, as opposed to either party immediately wanting to take advantage of the other...although it may well evolve into that.

So yeah, those are my thoughts. I'm just pondering as I watch the History Channel series Ancient Aliens. It's suggesting that ancient civilizations were highly impacted by astronauts from outer space, blahblahblah, nothing I haven't heard before. But it's certainly interesting, and thought-provoking. I could definitely believe it. Thoughts?

Cheers,
GIM<3

1 comment:

  1. Since you wrote your opinion in 2011, you may never see this. I too believe with two trillion galaxies in the universe, and with time having no beginning or end except for what we humans put on it, there must be life out there in one stage of development or another.

    Although I have watched Ancient Aliens many times, I think most of it's assertions is conjectured longing for an answer to the unanswerable. And sometimes it is pure bunk, that apparently has made celebrities out of it's hosts, and the group keeps expanding. But it has captured the imaginations of thousands of viewers, all looking for answers.

    The Italian physicist, Enrico Fermi, once said to his colleagues, and I am paraphrasing, "if there is life out there, where is everybody?" So that comment always makes me think , maybe my belief is wrong, maybe we humans are incredibly, amazingly, unbelievably unique in the universe. Can that be?

    ReplyDelete