Friday, February 4, 2011

V-Day clearly stands for Vomit Day

So I"m a little more than a week early, but while it's in my head, I thought that I would talk about my feelings on Valentine's Day.

Now, as my readers may know, this will be my 19th consecutive year of being single on V-Day. In high school, I would get a little depressed about it, maybe even write an angsty poem about my current love interest in my journal, and just generally sulk on February 14th. But now, I genuinely don't care about my own romantic situation on Valentine's Day. If I DID happen to have a significant other this time of year, I would want to treat Valentine's Day  just like any other day of the year, because love shouldn't just be expressed on ONE SINGULAR DAY, and chocolates and flowers and stuffed bears that make noises when you hug them are really not overpowering symbols of love to me. So, really, it's not the issue of being single on Valentine's Day that irritates me...it's how OTHER people deal with it.

There's two groups of people on V-Day: those who are in a relationship, and those who are not. Both are fucking annoying as hell. People who are in a relationship insist on talking to you about their plans on what to give their baby-boo, what they hope they get, blahdoobleedablee, when you actually couldn't care less and would like to talk about something that actually MATTERS. Then when the actual day comes, you have to put up with their fucking annoying-ass Facebook statuses: "my baby-boo is the best i love him sooooo much happy valentine's day babyyyy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" If you happen to see the two of them together on Valentine's Day, they coo over each other and slime all over each other with their gross lovey-dovey baby talk, and you just sit there wanting to slit your wrists.

Then, there's the singletons. Now, there are some people who are really chill about being single, and some who hide their moping very well. But then there's those fucking ridiculous people who always have to be like "alone for v-day again...guess this is just my life = ' [" SHUT THE FUCK UP. Valentine's Day is a saint's feast day that originally had NOTHING TO DO with romance and was COMPLETELY COMMERCIALIZED and turned into a sick, trashy holiday designed to make money and to make people feel bad about themselves. Get a fucking backbone and be happy for what you DO have, for the love of god. Just because you don't have a boyfriend NOW doesn't mean that you won't have one next week, or next month, or at least for NEXT Valentine's Day. I just can't stand people who just drown in their tears every Valentine's Day because they're so "unlovable".

Maybe my bitter side is showing through a little bit here. I mean, one day in the future, I would like to have a nice Valentine's Day...nothing too extreme, maybe just some flowers, since I do think it's a silly holiday to begin with. It's more about having someone that you care about to share EVERY day with, not just February 14th. Sure, I'd like that someday. But for now, I'm cool with spending my Valentine's Day alone, or with my friends, or working, or whatever will happen for me that day. I just don't think it's such a big deal, it's nothing to get your panties in a twist about. What do YOU think, my lurking readership? I know you're out there, gimme some feedback!

Cheers,
GIM<3

No comments:

Post a Comment